General Discussions about Arthur Lee and Love
 Four Sail - Pre-Elektra Mixes?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

psychtrailmix
First Love

6 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2018 :  15:50:44  Show Profile  Visit psychtrailmix's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The 6 songs from Four Sail that are included in the Love Story compilation from 1995 are what are supposed to be the "pre-Elektra" mixes, and Arthur's original mix for the album. These mixes sound way better than the reverb-laden mix that we all know as the album Elektra put out. They just left me wanting the remainder of the songs in this quality. Does anyone have any more information on this or know of any way we can contact the right people to try and obtain the remainder of the songs on the album, the pre-Elektra mixes?

~write the rules in the sky, but ask your leaders why, why~

John9
Old Love

United Kingdom
2154 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2018 :  14:03:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Hi Psychtrailmix - I've been away from this board for a long long time. When the Thunderbolt label released Four Sail on CD and Vinyl in the late 80s, they used those original 'pre-Elektra' - mixes except on Robert Montgomery where the Elektra mix was used. When the album was finally given its definitive release in the early 2000s, the 'pre-Elektra' version was included as a bonus track - but then it is also available on Love Story.. And so if you can track down that Thunderbolt release, you'll have everything.

Have a look at this page - and good luck:

https://www.discogs.com/sell/release/5989374?ev=rb
Go to Top of Page

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9864 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2018 :  05:02:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by John9

Hi Psychtrailmix - I've been away from this board for a long long time. When the Thunderbolt label released Four Sail on CD and Vinyl in the late 80s, they used those original 'pre-Elektra' - mixes except on Robert Montgomery where the Elektra mix was used. When the album was finally given its definitive release in the early 2000s, the 'pre-Elektra' version was included as a bonus track - but then it is also available on Love Story.. And so if you can track down that Thunderbolt release, you'll have everything.

Wow! So good to see you here again, John9. Missing all you, and all the great regulars that made this THE Love forum. Please stay and let's chat.

Always a pleasure... we had some good discussions over the years, my friend.

--LK

The actual writing of a song usually comes in the form of a realisation.
I can't contrive a song. – GENE CLARK
Go to Top of Page

John9
Old Love

United Kingdom
2154 Posts

Posted - 13/08/2018 :  09:43:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks LK - and it's really good to hear from you as well. My life has taken quite a different track since I was last on here. But I too miss all the old regulars - people like Rocker and Ed the Bear- but of course there have been many more. I don't listen to quite as much rock as I used to. - but I do try to listen to one album in its entirety every few days. And so yesterday it was the turn of The Beatles' Please Please Me - the stereo cd. I know that back in 2009 we used to have some fascinating discussions - much to the bemusement of our good friend, Caryne - about the mono virus stereo debate. You'll be pleased to know that I am beginning to invest in some of the American CD albums which of course carry mono mixes as well....Rubber Soul, Yesterday and Today and Revolver so far.

On the Love front, I have recently acquired brand new American MCA CD copies of Out Here and False Start - they look absolutely beautiful, even if though they contain minimal information. All the very best, LK - and speak soon.

Edited by - John9 on 13/08/2018 09:45:33
Go to Top of Page

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9864 Posts

Posted - 13/08/2018 :  13:40:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Thanks LK - and it's really good to hear from you as well. My life has taken quite a different track since I was last on here. But I too miss all the old regulars - people like Rocker and Ed the Bear- but of course there have been many more. I don't listen to quite as much rock as I used to. - but I do try to listen to one album in its entirety every few days. And so yesterday it was the turn of The Beatles' Please Please Me - the stereo cd. I know that back in 2009 we used to have some fascinating discussions - much to the bemusement of our good friend, Caryne - about the mono virus stereo debate. You'll be pleased to know that I am beginning to invest in some of the American CD albums which of course carry mono mixes as well....Rubber Soul, Yesterday and Today and Revolver so far.

On the Love front, I have recently acquired brand new American MCA CD copies of Out Here and False Start - they look absolutely beautiful, even if though they contain minimal information. All the very best, LK - and speak soon.

Have you gotten the new Forever Changes box-4 CDs, 1 DVD, 1 vinyl.

The new mastering renders all that came before obsolete. Amazing how Botnick brought out the best of every player.

"Mono" is good, yes. I have mono mixes of those Beatles on vinyl, and the perfect MONO Beatles box from ...was it actually ten years ago?

My newest vinyl purchase and love...the new great UK super group:

Bennett Wilson Poole!

Ask Me Anything
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dmclNiTdybY

And yes, we miss those heated and passionate exchanges with Caryne indeed.

Edited by - lemonade kid on 13/08/2018 13:43:51
Go to Top of Page

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9864 Posts

Posted - 13/08/2018 :  13:56:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
And some great music from Fred In Bed...

Jerome Smail "Ashes Of Summertime" debut LP...very current but with our beoved 60's psych rock sensibilities...unfortunately the music seems to be gone from Bandcamp.

http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/jerome-smail-debut-lp-shades-of-60s-british-indie-alt-psych-pop.607044/

"My biggest influences are Love (of course), the Byrds, the Beatles, Syd Barrett, the Stone Roses, but so much 60s psych from both sides of the Atlantic feeds into what I do." -Jerome

Looks to be hard to find, but anyone who wants to hear it...PM me.

Edited by - lemonade kid on 13/08/2018 13:58:32
Go to Top of Page

psychtrailmix
First Love

6 Posts

Posted - 13/08/2018 :  21:10:32  Show Profile  Visit psychtrailmix's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

Hey man, thanks for the response. I have the '87 cd and it surely has the reverb on it. I believe they used a tape, but it was a tape of post-Elektra versions with the reverb added. The only release I've heard with Arthur's "original unadulterated mixes" are the Four Sail songs include on disc 2 of the Love Story comp from 1995.

~write the rules in the sky, but ask your leaders why, why~
Go to Top of Page

John9
Old Love

United Kingdom
2154 Posts

Posted - 14/08/2018 :  21:51:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My apologies - I was going off my own recollections of the Thunderbolt release. It was the first Love album to receive a UK release on CD. I can remember a friend of mine being so disappointed that he took it back. I've always liked the more polished Elektra versions - but then I have low fidelity hearing. For me,the thing that wins the 2003 CD a special place in my heart is the wonderful accompanying booklet - which illuminates the most mysterious phase in the band's history.
Go to Top of Page

John9
Old Love

United Kingdom
2154 Posts

Posted - 14/08/2018 :  21:58:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
LK - many thanks for these recommendations - I'll do my best to check them out. Just been listening to Revolver in stereo - Tomorrow Never Knows particularly shines. I haven't yet heard the most recent version of Forever Changes - but one day there will be time for it. I just wish that I could get back to how I felt on first hearing the album in 1971. Nothing else in music seemed to matter for a good while after that.

Edited by - John9 on 14/08/2018 21:59:02
Go to Top of Page

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9864 Posts

Posted - 18/08/2018 :  06:35:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

LK - many thanks for these recommendations - I'll do my best to check them out. Just been listening to Revolver in stereo - Tomorrow Never Knows particularly shines. I haven't yet heard the most recent version of Forever Changes - but one day there will be time for it. I just wish that I could get back to how I felt on first hearing the album in 1971. Nothing else in music seemed to matter for a good while after that.

Pulled out my stereo vinyl...yep. Shines!

Go to Top of Page

Joe Morris
Old Love

3485 Posts

Posted - 18/08/2018 :  16:37:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
the odd mix from the Thunderbolt release (Singing Cowboy?
is on the reissue

Jac Holzman REALLY took his time putting out Four Sail to cd here stateside! even Out Here (Out There?
came out before!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Messageboard For Love Fans © 2004 Torben Skott Go To Top Of Page