Captain Beefheart and Arthur..
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Tina
Old Love

United Kingdom
678 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2005 :  15:03:03  Show Profile  Visit Tina's Homepage  Click to see Tina's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Beefheart Birthday News
Don turns 64 on Saturday 15 January and so we wish him many happy returns. Happy Birthday Don (and Happy Earthday too).

Moris Tepper talks with Don every week and says this about him, “I don’t think I’ve had a conversation with him in 20 years that he hasn’t written at least one, if not 18, songs while we’re on the phone. He’s constantly going. He doesn’t care if you’re on the phone or not, he’s just going."

In an interview with Robert Baird in January's Stereophile magazine, Tepper continues, “Since he quit music, but more important the last four or five years, he’s really gotten sweet and nurturing, and supportive of my work."

The song Ricochet Man was co-written with Don for Tepper's album Moth to Mouth. Moris explains that it was originally an instrumental track in progress which Don heard, along with other material intended for the album.

Moris had recently met Arthur Lee, the Love guitarist, who had been released after three years in jail, "for shooting a gun off in his apartment and there wasn’t anybody there." Moris says that when he told Don this story, "He (Don) goes [in a hipster whisper], 'Man, Ricochet Man’."

Don is constantly suggesting to Moris that he use some of his material, "but I’m trying to make my own work, my own statements." But, with Ricochet Man, "it felt so appropriate, so right for the record. So we got one together.”

Many thanks to Gene Hopstetter, Jr. for alerting us to this interview

Copied from the Captain Beefheart Radar Station site
http://www.beefheart.com/news/index.html

P.S. It looks as if the Magic Band are going to be touring the UK again later this year, they're due at the Rescue Rooms in Nottingham on 31st May - my recommendation would be to try your damnedest to get to see them...

LarryNYC
Fifth Love

USA
310 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2005 :  15:46:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yup, Dem'll booglarize ya baby fo'sure
Go to Top of Page

Lizzyb
Fifth Love

United Kingdom
470 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2005 :  21:27:49  Show Profile  Visit Lizzyb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
que?

i'm struggling here

Keep on shining
Go to Top of Page

Lizzyb
Fifth Love

United Kingdom
470 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2005 :  23:38:55  Show Profile  Visit Lizzyb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
knew he was a capricorn

Keep on shining
Go to Top of Page

sometimesmylifeissoeerie
Fourth Love

198 Posts

Posted - 21/03/2005 :  01:42:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't know about Beefheart, but there were a lot of references to AL in the latest biography of Frank Zappa.
FZ and AL played at the same clubs on the Strip and they used to jam with each other at some of those clubs.
Anyone hear anything else about FZ and AL?
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Messageboard For Love Fans © 2004 Torben Skott Go To Top Of Page