Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

stewart
Old Love

United Kingdom
565 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2011 :  02:26:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
http://youngmosstongue.blogspot.com/2010/09/various-were-all-normal-and-we-want-our.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+Youngmosstongue+%28YoungMossTongue%29

Joe Morris
Old Love

3485 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2011 :  03:11:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
rubbish album
Go to Top of Page

dyecraig
Fourth Love

USA
203 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2011 :  04:17:08  Show Profile  Visit dyecraig's Homepage  Reply with Quote
got throught it once (torture)
Go to Top of Page

ALLANAGAIN
Old Love

United Kingdom
687 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2011 :  14:58:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i once asked Bill ..the Love freak who runs STAND OUT records in Portobello road about it, he said" I WOULDENT SELL IT TO YOU!" ..Nuff said!!
Go to Top of Page

captain america and billy
Old Love

907 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2011 :  16:51:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Maybe some early Love could be remade half decently,but I really don't think its a good idea to touch too much of the more surreal stuff Arthur Lee was composing the deeper and deeper he got into the drug thing.Visions like these can be far too personal for others to emulate.One can only hope no one dare toy with "Red Telephone" or the near avant garde "Seven and Seven Is".Some works are strictly finely tuned personal expression.Further case in point-I have yet to hear anyone successfully pull off a re-do of "Strawberry Fields".Even John himself was ever completely satisfied with his own take!Maybe a band here and there could wistfully recreate one of Love's more plaintive works like "Daily Planet" or "Bummer in the Summer",but most of the rest needs to be drawn from the creators' original palate of soulful flavoringsfor true listener fullfillment.
Go to Top of Page

Joe Morris
Old Love

3485 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2011 :  18:57:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
worse album than Brittle Days (Nick Drake tribute)

is such a thing is even possible!!
Go to Top of Page

John9
Old Love

United Kingdom
2154 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2011 :  22:40:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I remember very well the album coming out in '94 (when of course the profile of our favourites was much lower than it was to become after 2000) - and was really pleased that Love's music was resonating with so many 90s bands. And I also love the album sleeve. Going back to Captain's point about Seven and Seven Is...that one has also been covered by both The Bangles and Patti Smlth. I've posted this one before....but here's a live Bangles' version:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GJgvrECV3Fo

Edited by - John9 on 04/05/2011 22:47:53
Go to Top of Page

Joe Morris
Old Love

3485 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2011 :  23:33:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
terrible terrible album

I was reading one review where the person was so taken aback by the Teenage Fanclub's version of Clark & Hilldale that he thought the vinyl was mastered at the wrong speed (!)

appalling release. Can't believe it saw release
Go to Top of Page

Old Love

907 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2011 :  15:34:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Re: the Bangles take on "Seven and Seven Is".Wow!I thought I was just aluding to the track just to illustrate a point!Someone actually took a poke at his one?!And the frigen Bangles of all people.Firstly,this is quite obviously a tune intended for male delivery only just as I wouldn't have wanted to hear Huey Lewis and the News doing "Walk Like an Egyptian" back in '85.The instrumental re-creaton is wonderful.Actually quite impressive.But that's just mechanics.The soul just isn't there.Patti Smith's version is probably a little closer to original concept,I'm sure.

Edited by - captain america and billy on 05/05/2011 15:35:28
Go to Top of Page

Joe Morris
Old Love

3485 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2011 :  16:55:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think Smack Dab's take on "Bummer in the Summer" on the album is particularly ghastly:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tfhB4IUc1HE

I remember when this came out and Arthur was trying to talk it up. He did mention TFC and how he wasn't sure about their take on the track

I doubt if he ever bothered to listen to it; curious they got him to do liner notes for the release
Go to Top of Page

Old Love

907 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2011 :  18:35:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If no one can even get something as relatively rudimentary as "Bummer" down right,forget it.
Go to Top of Page

Joe Morris
Old Love

3485 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2011 :  21:15:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
its the little girl voice that gets me cross
Go to Top of Page

scully
Fourth Love

United Kingdom
217 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2011 :  10:52:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If it upsets you so much, it may be best not to listen to it. As John pointed out above, back in 1994 when this came out Love and Arthur's profiles were at a fairly low ebb. I don't think any cover of a song can harm the original, frankly.
Go to Top of Page

John9
Old Love

United Kingdom
2154 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2011 :  15:33:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Thanks, Scully....I was beginning to think that I was a lone voice on this. I think that the Byrds tribute album Time Between fulfilled a very similar purpose at round about the same time. It is really heartening to see great groups such as these inspiring so many successive generations of young people. Good to hear from you once again.
Go to Top of Page

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9864 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2011 :  16:29:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I 've got your backs here, too, on this one, SCULLY AND JOHN....any artists covering Arthur Lee and LoVE, can only further the wonder and genius that was LoVE...and up their profiles!

If they didn't try to give the Love song that they covered their own voice and reading, they would not be true to their own artistic vision, whether we agree with the result or not.....KUDOS!!!

STONED
I AM
-iconic 60's button
Go to Top of Page

Old Love

907 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2011 :  17:40:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I must admit I was impressed by the mere Bangles acknowledgement of the group.By the sounds of their 1980's releases I was listening to back in high school,I'd assumed they were only superficial musically.If their interests here are indeed genuine,i must admit error in judgement.Perhaps I ahd judged the book by its cover.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Messageboard For Love Fans © 2004 Torben Skott Go To Top Of Page