Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

John9
Old Love

United Kingdom
2154 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2009 :  21:50:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We've had a lot of heavy stuff recently..... and so to balance things out a little, what is the song from that special catalogue that gives you a spring in your step, makes you feel upbeat and helps you greet each new day with euphoria? For me it is definitely Run To The Top (from Out Here). For some reason, it always reminds me of Julie Andrews and The Sound of Music.

Edited by - John9 on 02/09/2009 21:51:59

Joe Morris
Old Love

3485 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2009 :  21:58:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"Sad song" (of all things) has been lifting me up of late

The demo version of the track on the recent Sundazed single of course! I love how Arthur cracks up at the end of that! I've even burned the track to cdr and have been having it play on repeat LOL
Go to Top of Page

kdion11
Old Love

USA
552 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2009 :  00:44:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by John9

We've had a lot of heavy stuff recently..... and so to balance things out a little, what is the song from that special catalogue that gives you a spring in your step, makes you feel upbeat and helps you greet each new day with euphoria? For me it is definitely Run To The Top (from Out Here). For some reason, it always reminds me of Julie Andrews and The Sound of Music.

Que Vida !

Free the steps !
Go to Top of Page

aldo
Third Love

United Kingdom
58 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2009 :  01:01:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"she comes in colours" love the arrangement and the general psychedelic feel of it,
also recently heard a tune on an advert on tv recently that has a song which sounds like somebodys watching you from five string serenade that song is in my top 5.
Go to Top of Page

Joe Morris
Old Love

3485 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2009 :  01:12:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good cover of Somebodys Watching You on Youtube by yours truly:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3XXcVCoYILk
Go to Top of Page

caryne
Old Love

United Kingdom
1520 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2009 :  01:20:17  Show Profile  Visit caryne's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Although it's not composed by Arthur for me it'll be 'Little Red Book', purely for the memory of bouncing up and down to it at the front of many, many gigs. Though tinged with sadness not only for the fact that the gigs are no more but that, since my accident, I can't dance anymore either.
Go to Top of Page

bob f.
Old Love

USA
1308 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2009 :  03:54:46  Show Profile  Visit bob f.'s Homepage  Reply with Quote
"LITTLE RED BOOK" I guess because that's what Arthur began with at his 1st "LOVE" CONCERT at the Knitting Factory in Hollywood, Cal., MAY 1ST, 2002, after release. i was there and was blasted off from the first second ! i kept focussing on his tambourine and marraccas!
he was BACK, and with fresh , viscious beauty!

...what the world needs now...
Go to Top of Page

scully
Fourth Love

United Kingdom
217 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2009 :  08:03:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bit obvious maybe, but for me it's one of Bryan's -- Orange Skies. Never fails. One that always gives me a lift (but maybe isn't as positive) is My Flash On You, love that song.
Go to Top of Page

Kula John
Old Love

United Kingdom
754 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2009 :  12:13:41  Show Profile  Visit Kula John's Homepage  Reply with Quote
You Set The Scene for me.

Fantastic lyrics and such a powerful song. I never get tired of watching Arthur perform that at Glastonbury in 2003. The sun creates this wonderful light which just seems to capture Forever Changes perfectly. Arthur jokes just before the song, 'This next one's gonna be a classic one day!'. There's a huge crowd and it seems like for that 90 minute period (or however long the set was) Glastonbury was completely in awe of Arthur and his music. The horns and strings were made for that song and you can see that the whole band are loving every minute of it and they all sound perfect. Often brings a lump to my throat.

'This is the time, this is the time, it is time, time, time, time, time, time, time, time, time..........YEAH!!!!!

What a moment http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=agmuYmj44ss

They also do a great version of the song on Jools Holland

This is the time and this is the time and it is time, time, time, time, time, time, time.....

Edited by - Kula John on 03/09/2009 12:14:57
Go to Top of Page

rocker
Old Love

USA
3606 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2009 :  14:22:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've always liked Arthur's I'm With You" with his swirling guitar notes and that great melody with a Beatles sensibility. I think he was in great mood then when he wrote it.
Go to Top of Page

John9
Old Love

United Kingdom
2154 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2009 :  15:11:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by caryne

Although it's not composed by Arthur for me it'll be 'Little Red Book', purely for the memory of bouncing up and down to it at the front of many, many gigs. Though tinged with sadness not only for the fact that the gigs are no more but that, since my accident, I can't dance anymore either.

I can quite see from what you've said, Caryne, why that song would have such special significance for you. When I saw Love in 2002 at the University of Manchester, they kicked off with that one....and from the very first tap of Arthur's tambourine, you just knew that it was going to be one of the very best concerts. I looked to my left and was startled to see that I was standing next to a girl of say nineteen or twenty who had thrown herself into an absolute frenzy...I assume that it was the song that had actually caused this....and not that she was in my presence!

Edited by - John9 on 03/09/2009 18:27:16
Go to Top of Page

rocker
Old Love

USA
3606 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2009 :  17:33:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
kula..it's great to see that one...and he's right....it is a CLASSIC!...that ending is just so great and so triumphant!.....
Go to Top of Page

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9866 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2009 :  18:17:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My Little Red Book for me, too!!

Heard it back in the day just as Jac describes hearing it on the radio for the first time. WONDERFUL!

Then ALONe AGAIN OR... the way it jump-starts the whole FC album with that soaring horn solo!!

>>JOE!! Nice cover!! Keep 'em coming!

Edited by - lemonade kid on 03/09/2009 18:18:47
Go to Top of Page

rocker
Old Love

USA
3606 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2009 :  21:09:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
..."Orange Skies"..that has to be "Love on Broadway".....
Go to Top of Page

scully
Fourth Love

United Kingdom
217 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2009 :  21:24:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

When I saw Love in 2002 at the University of Manchester, they kicked off with that one....and from the very first tap of Arthur's tambourine, you just knew that it was going to be one of the very best concerts.

Aye John, that was one of the greatest shows I've ever seen.

Have to agree with Kula and Rocker on You Set The Scene -- but I always have to listen to the whole of FC, can't single out any one track. I always feel better after I hear it though.

BTW John9, nice idea for a thread, ta.
Go to Top of Page

caryne
Old Love

United Kingdom
1520 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2009 :  22:33:04  Show Profile  Visit caryne's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by scully

quote:

When I saw Love in 2002 at the University of Manchester, they kicked off with that one....and from the very first tap of Arthur's tambourine, you just knew that it was going to be one of the very best concerts.

Aye John, that was one of the greatest shows I've ever seen.

Have to agree with Kula and Rocker on You Set The Scene -- but I always have to listen to the whole of FC, can't single out any one track. I always feel better after I hear it though.

BTW John9, nice idea for a thread, ta.

I wasn't at the Manchester gig but did attend the Queen Elizabeth Hall one a few days later. I was in the front row with a friend, the one who introduced me to 'Love' in 1977 when I was 15, it was a memorable experience for both of us.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Messageboard For Love Fans © 2004 Torben Skott Go To Top Of Page